Friday, October 16, 2009

I decided...




Today, I decided that I AM a good mom!! Plain and simple!!!! I mean, I felt like a great mom when Nora was a baby. I never had any problems (barely) with getting Nora to take a nap and to eat. We didn't' watch too much TV and we had scheduled play dates with other mommies and little kids. I really thought I had it all together! Then along comes child number 2. Simply having a second child makes everything more interesting. I found myself making "game plans" for the smallest of adventure the next day. I swear I had to add at least 30 minutes to our routine to get anywhere on time! Try as I may a Schedule just wasn't happening, and poor Nora was watching WAY too many cartoons just so I could take a nap. But, adding in Audrey's mischievous little personality really threw me for a curveball.

Audrey first and foremost is a ball full of fun. Always smiles and laughs. She really is a good little girl. But when she is MAD...watchout!! And she doesn't like to do anything you really want her to do, unless it's her idea. AND She was the anti schedule baby as I was the schedule Nazi (Was being the key word there). And poor Nora just wanted to play with her baby sister, but Audrey was too little. This lead to a lot of ,"Nora don't touch her", "Nora put her down", "Nora leave her alone", Thus starting my progression into a Crazy Mommy!! If you ever called me during the first year of Audrey's life there was probably no real conversation, just me CONSTANTLY tell Nora to stop doing something. Also, as many of you can attest to, I am naturally a loud person. So I must admit I can be a bit of a yeller! I mean I yell because I CARE! ;) I am loud when I talk so of course I am going to be even louder when my children STILL aren't doing what I ask them to do after the 8th time of asking (aka telling) them to do something!

Anyway, my point to all of this, is that ever since balancing 2 kids I have found myself feeling like the worst mother of all time. I think it is super easy to compare ourselves to other mothers too, which can make you feel even worse!! But in the last couple of months I have come to realize that none of us mothers have it all together! We are all just trying to get along the best we can and THANK GOODNESS there aren't any hidden camera's in our homes for others to watch! haha, just teasing...sort of! I have also have realized to take comfort in the fact that there may be areas I lack in, such as a little thing called patience (and punctuation...obviously as this run on sentence runs on) I totally make up for with hugs and kisses. My kids LOVE to hug and cuddle with me! Audrey would be attached to me all the time if she had her way! I also think I am a fun mom too. We have dance parties and tea parties and both the girls like to pull up chairs and "help" me cook every night. I also take pride in the fact that I teach them to do things for themselves. Right this minute Audrey is looking for her own sippy cup, it's actually pretty cute seeing her walking around looking under things! :)

Anyway, I guess I have just come to terms with the fact that my kids are just gonna drive me nuts, as will I drive them nuts, and that's ok. They love me and I love them! WE MAY NOT HAVE IT ALL TOGETHER, BUT TOGETHER WE HAVE IT ALL!!!

7 comments:

Supershepherds said...

You are a good mom. I'm glad you acknowledge it.

Katie said...

Nicole ~ This is so true. It's easy to be hard on yourself a lot of times. ; ) You are a wonderful mom.

Thank you for your constant encouragement and prayers.

gapeach said...

I, for one, can't imagine a cuter mama! I'm scared to death about #2 (whenever that one comes along...), but thanks for the reality check that things won't be perfect, and that's OK!!! :> Love ya!

Lisa

O's World said...

Love this post! Your girls are lucky to have such a fun mamma!!

WesnKim-sidebyside said...

My most heartfelt memories are of the tea parties my mom and I had. The kitty tea pot she bought me at an officers bazaar in 1962 is my most precious worldly possesion. I am so glad that you are making such wonderful memories with our precious grandbabies. You are a FANTASTIC Mom,that we have never doubted. Love you all so much.

heidi said...

i'll wrestle you for title of world's world's craziest mom. there's nothing wrong with being crazy, right?

Yahnira Backus a.k.a. "Mommy" said...

I just LOVE this post! I totally agree and I especially like your comment about the "hidden camera"... heaven help us if we had one...hehe.