Every Sunday during the beginning of Primary they have 3 different children give a prayer, a scripture, and a talk on a certain topic. I volunteered Nora for a talk on her first Sunday b/c she ALWAYS ran to the podium in the primary room whenever she got a chance and began talking ( yeah, she sure is my child, LOL). Also, my parents were in town so I thought it would be a fun treat to have her grandparents there to watch her give her first talk in Primary!!! :) Unfortunately, Church was cancelled the first Sunday of the year (due to snow and ice) and so when Nora gave her talk Grandma and Grandpa were gone...and so was Wade (thanks to the National Guard)! I could have postponed it, but I am sure there will be many other opportunities for Nora to give a talks over the next couple of years.
So, I decided to share her talk with those of you who care (along with pictures we showed...or a variation of the pics). This is mainly for me. I print my blog out in a book yearly and I really like the idea of her first talk and things like that to be in my blog book for my memories...like a journal if you will!!
The topic was on Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. When we prepared it I tried to get her ideas as much as possible. Being a 4 year old she didn't have much to say about the topic except she went on and on about how she prays to Jesus and he visits her in her sleep! :) Love it! So we were sure to talk about prayer in the talk. With every statement we tried to have a conversation about it and used it as a teaching tool rather than just telling her what to say. She did SUCH a good job with her talk. When she practiced at home she was all over the place and I just knew when she got to the podium she was going to ramble on and on about something /anything but the topic at hand!! ;) But, on Sunday, once she stood at the podium she said Exactly what I whispered in her ear and said it with such a sweet spirit and conviction. There was no rambling, there was no stuttering, and no giggling. I don't even remember the other kids talking and/or laughing. GOD's spirit was definitely there!! All those kids may be young, but there is always a special spirit in the Primary room. Those children are probably closer to GOD ,with their childlike Faith, than we as adults can only strive to be!
Nora's First Primary Talk (January, 10th 2010).
I Believe in God the Eternal Father and in his son Jesus Christ:
~The First Article of Faith States, "We Believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
~My Heavenly Father loves me and has a plan for me!

~Jesus Christ is my Savior, he died for my sins.
~We can talk with our Heavenly Father by praying in the name of Jesus Christ.
~One day I will live with my Heavenly Father and Jesus again, with my Family!

~I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ...Amen
I have to admit, I thought this was going to be a learning experience for Nora,but that is a funny thing about the Gospel...It is always teaching YOU! I learned so much about how simple the Gospel truly is and now have a better understanding of all those many scriptures of having "Childlike Faith". I cannot express to you how well Nora did with this Talk. She even sat there so reverently waiting up front to give her talk. Barely moving and smiling at me every time she saw me. You would think she was nervous how she was so quite...but, I know good and well she wasn't nervous. She just had the spirit of the LORD with her, that I have no doubt!! .

4 comments:
So precious! That's really neat...what a blessing!
What a sweet story and what an adorable mom you are!! Your girls are lucky :)
What a moment that would have been to capture first hand. How wonderful for Nora! We are very proud of her.
So darling!! Thanks for sharing, gave me chills! What a great mama you are!
Post a Comment