Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Mini-Apple!

Last week me and my family went to the Minni-Apple... Minneapolis, MN that is!! It is where most of my mom's side of the family lives. I also met my parents, sister and her fam, and my big bro there. We had SUCH a great time!! The drive wasn't bad at all (thanks to DVD players), and my cousin Ann put us all up for free!! So, I was able to see Aunts that I haven't seen in a couple years, Cousins I haven't seen in about 15 years, and even some other cousins I haven't seen in probably 20. i can't believe I am old enough to say it's been that long since I have been up there. The last tim eI was in Minneapolis was about 7 years ago and I only saw a few family members other than that it was the summer before college that I was up there with my bro. That was fun, a road trip from Washington State to Minnesota with my brother...AWESOME!!

Anyway, we had a formal reunion at a YMCA so we were also able to rock climb and swim while we were there. the next day we did a lot of family history sites. Our old house (i don't remember b/c I was a baby), Shawn's gravesite, he is my brother that passed a month after birth, It was before me...very special!!! We also visited Robinsdale, MN, a suburb of Minneapolis where my cousins lived for MANY years. That is where most of my memories are from in all my summer and winter visits as a child. Another day we of course we had to go to downtown minneapolis to check out the skywalks. And last but not least, the MALL OF AMERICA...LOVE IT!! Honestly, not much shopping, but we did go to the amusement park in the middle of it. It's called Nickelodeon Universe and it is the PERFECT amusment park for families with young kids!!!

So, check out our visit!!!

The Reunion:

A couple shots (R-L) Florence, my only living grandparent. She is my mother's step-mother and so wonderful! Aunt Joanne and her daughter and grandson. My Dad and Aunt Joanne. ALL the FIRST cousins...minus a couple (thanks for being late TED)! The whole gang. Nora. Roy. the newest member of the fam with his great, great, great grandmother...sweet, huh? Aunt Arlene and Liza her granddaughter!
fam reunion

Rock Climbing:

This was a BLAST!!! I haven't rock since my Senior year in HS..Wade gave it a whirl too...he did great! Nora tried but didn't like it and then sat in the middle of the gym to cry b/c she wanted to go swimming NOW!!! Gotta love 4 year old!
rock climbing

Shawn's Gravesite:

This was a special moment. I have NEVER been there and because of that, this was the first time we have been there ALL together! I never knew my brother, but as I have gotten older I have thought about him more and more. I look forward to the day I get to meet him and for the day my parents get to raise him in the millennium!! :) We talked about whether he was there with us or not. I couldn't help but feel that he was there I spirit! It wasn't a sad moment...more joyous! I guess that the great news about the Gospel...This life is not the end!!!
shawn

Robinsdale:

As I mentioned earlier, Robinsdale is where Most of my cousins lived for MANY years! I have so many memories there. This DQ is right around the corner from their neighborhood and I remember going there as a child especially after going to the 3ft deep community pool around the other corner! :) THis DQ is so special b/c I will ALWAYS remember the CHERRY dipped cones they have. For nostalgia purposed I always look for the cherry flavor at ever DQ I see, but this is the only one...maybe it's a minnesota thing, but it is definitely NOT in the south anywhere. I made my family stop to see if they still had it and sure enough they did. So my SWEET hubby bought us all a cone. What a great guy!! It was just as good as I remembered!
dq

Skywalks:

So another big memory for my WHOLE family is the Skywalks in downtown Minneapolis! Basically all the major skyscrapers are connected my skywalks along with DAYTONS (which is now Macy's). Macy's is GREAT and all but Daytons was the bomb!! They had the huge seasonal exhibits at the top floor just for kids. I remember the "Santa Bear" exhibit and the "Velveteen Rabbit" exhibit. I remember I got a Santa bear for Christmas...where is that now?? oooh, MOM??? ;)
skywalk

Nickelodeon Universe:

This is an AWESOME place. Especially if you have a young family! Nora could ride just about EVERY ride with at least a chaperone. A lot she could ride by herself. HEr and her cousin Mallory were let loose together for a while and she LOVED it! Audrey could ride on a lot of rides with Wade or I, she had a blast too. Plus, what's better that is is in a MALL...of America no less! :) The pics below are: me in line...why not? Audrey and I on Deigo's Safari bus, Wade and the girls on a haunted house ride, Grandma, Nora and a little girl named Sally (I think) they just met and became instant friends. They rode about 4 rides together...it was really cute! And then Nora on some wonder pets ride. Definitely worth the time and money we spent there!
nick univere

So that is out trip!! Hope I didn't bore you...we definitely enjoyed ourselves and it was tough to leave! i miss my cousins already. On a side note, did you know I am the BABY of all the 1st cousins...yep it's true! I am actually closer in age to my cousins children than my cousins. Just had to throw that in their for my cousins...LOL, inside joke! ;)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you all had a great time!

Jadie said...

Your family is so much fun--I'm so looking forward to seeing all of you this summer!

Hey--read your comment on my blog--I haven't had a chance to get to my email yet, but I will tomorrow morning. Thank you for thinking of me and taking time to write to me. Except for that one whacko (who apparently knows me pretty well--scary), everyone has been so kind. I don't know--I'm thinking I might be able to pull through this???

Later, after I read your email. Thanks again, Nicole.

Scates Family said...

It looks like so much fun! I have always wanted to go to the Mall of America. How great to see all your family.

Katie said...

i love all the pictures! and what a special thing to do - visit your brother's grave. you have a PRECIOUS family!

The May family said...

Loved reading about your family, Nicole! Cherry dips ROCK! People here look at me like I'm crazy when I ask for one, but I keep asking just in case they finally get it. They don't even have cherry dilly bars. These people don't know what they're missing! I'm a Midwest girl, too, and I always had them growing up. :-)

Yahnira Backus a.k.a. "Mommy" said...

This was one of my favorite posts. Very tender and so fun!!

Love and miss you all,
Yahnira