Tuesday, October 11, 2011

This is what I know...

Unless you've lived under a rock somewhere, along with the guys in the geico commercial, then you know that there are TWO Mormons (or members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) running for president.  So, clearly, this has brought my religion into the Evangelical spotlight!  This happened four years ago as well, so it's no surprise that it's happening again.  This is something that I've, and most Mormon's, have dealt with our entire lives.

True History:

There's a lot of History about my faith that you can read here if you want to.  You may or may not believe it, but what I want to share with you is MY History in the Church.

I was raised a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  I can honestly tell you that it is one of the world's most misunderstood religion.  Misunderstood may not even be the right word.  There are many ideas floating around out there that are are simply not true, in some cases ridiculous.  No, Mormon's do not have horns...seriously, I have actually said that!! 

I have also:

-been told I'm going to Hell, straight to my face
-been kicked out of someones house b/c of my religious affiliation
-been invited to a "Bible Study" that was in actuality some form of "Mormon intervention"
-I've had my haircut by woman who was attending anti-mormon classes at a local church.  And boy did I get my earful of half-truths and HATE!!  I was literally a captive audience!
-Many times been told I'm a member of a cult.  Most recently that has been said in public forum.
-I know I have friends that pray for me as they believe I am going to Hell!  This doesn't offend me at all, really.  I truly believe it's out of love and concern. 
-I also know I have friends who attend churches that offer anti-Mormon classes.  Maybe they've even attended those classes.  If they have, I would still consider them friends as I am sure, they do me.  It is what it is...ya know?

A lot of that is just no fun!!  But, I can assure you that no matter what else happens in the future, I will never fall away from the Religion and Faith that I love and the truths I believe.  How do I know that? Well, I have in fact, fallen away once.  I avoided all talk of religion when I was younger growing up in a small southern town.  At a young age, I realized that my religious beliefs were somewhat different and even judged.  So, I avoided all talk of religion like the plague!!  I even wished I could have been born Baptist or Methodist at times simply b/c I believed life would be so much easier for me. 

After living  many years in my adult life without religion in my life I knew things had to change.  My parents often encouraged me to go to other Church services with friends.  I wasn't sheltered at all in that area.  But when it came time for me to find where I fit in this life and what I truly believed in I did go back to the Faith I was raised in.  But,  not naively.  I went to Church for quite a while before my heart was really in it. I prayed a lot over my faith, my life, the things I was taught, and yes, even over the Book of Mormon.  Before I really invested my life in such a faith, I needed to know, Is it REALLY true?  Did Joseph Smith, a young boy, really see our Father in Heaven and Jesus Christ, did he really find the golden plates (which became the Book of Mormon) under divine direction?  Was he really divinely inspired in restoring Christ's Church and not just "creating" a religion? 

Many of you reading who are not Mormon's probably laugh at the thought.  I get it, it sounds strange!  But, I can tell you, when I knelt in fervent prayer one evening to specifically pray for the knowledge of these things, I felt the most overwhelming, warm, comforting feeling that left me with a smile on my face and an answer to my prayer.  Have you ever felt such a feeling when asking the Lord for direction in your life?  If you haven't I encourage you to build a relationship with God so the next time you petition the Lord for an answer to your prayer you can feel that feeling. No matter the subject.  There is not a better feeling in the world, than to know that the decision you made is exactly what the Lord would have you do. 

Since, that day, I'll have to be honest, my relationship with the Lord has had it's highs and lows.  I'm far from perfect.  But, that is a moment that I can never forget and never deny!!

That is my experience, my belief, my history and the reason I am a Member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  That is why I am raising a family upon the same principles and hope they grow up to find their own Testimony, as well.

Am I a Christian?

In one word, YES!  I believe in Jesus Christ, that he took upon our sins in Gethsemane, that He died for our sins on The Cross, he was resurrected 3 days later to save us from the Grave.  Why are we not called Christians by some?  I can't pretend to understand why certain groups insist that we are not, but if I had to guess I'd say the following reasons. First,  We believe in God, the Eternal Father, His son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.  We believe they are 3 SEPERATE personages, known as the Godhead, that work together for one greater purpose....so that we, as his children, may live with God in Heaven.  Second, We believe that we are saved through grace by Jesus Christ, after we've done all we can in this life.  Have we kept His Commandments?  Have we loved one another?  Have we shared his Gospel?  And so on... He will save us through His grace, that is no doubt, but He expects us to live and learn in this life as well!  One more guess, We believe the Book of Mormon to be another Testament of Jesus Christ.  Jesus taught his Gospel in Jerusalem, yes, but during all that time and well before his birth, we believe, that people did live on this side of the world.  People existed on what we now call the American Continent.  They looked forward to the birth of Jesus and believed in His Gospel.  The Book of Mormon is another witness of Prophets (just as Moses was a prophet) from those people that lived during that time.  Oh, and I can't forget the Restoration.  Many Protestant faith's came from the Catholic Reformation. We believe in a total Restoration of the Gospel on Earth!  Parts of Jesus Christ's ministry that were lost as He and His Apostles left this life. 

So, there are some differences..but Christ is at the center of all we do and believe!!

Do Mormons really Believe that we are all Children of God?

Yes, yes, we do!!  If we are on this Earth, we are Children of God.  He loves us all.  Just like my parents LOVE me all the time.  However, my parents may not be particularly love all the choices I've made, they've loved me unconditionally, nonetheless!!  The same way God loves us UNCONDITIONALLY!!!  God gave us commandments so we may find our way to live with him in Heaven, NOT to judge one another with. 
Just as my faith is questionsed by Evangelical Christians, it is also questioned by Liberals.  Between, Wade and I, we both have gay family members.  The Church has taken a strong stance on the importance of a traditional marriage.  That will not change.  But, that doesn't mean we don't LOVE our gay family members and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints DOES care for and have compassion for our gay bother's and sister's.  I believe that it is REAL, and that is a trial I can't imagine having to overcome.  I'm not sure I could overcome it, if I were in that situation.  I don't expect my family members to change, I just expect them to find happiness. Which I know they will!  With that being said, I do value the traditional families, that, I cannot apologies for. 

The Church has actively petitioned against Gay marriage, so I guess I can see why that seems hateful.  But I truly believe that the Church, as a whole, can stand up for it's belief system without it turning into a question of  HATE.  Homosexuality may be viewed as a sin, but aren't we all sinners?  I mean, really?  Unfortunately, I know that members of my own religion have been hurtful and judgmental of these family members.  I think that's inexcusable!!  I don't think that's the message the Mormon Church is trying to portray, but unfortunately it is the message getting out b/c of the actions of others.

Some say that organized religion causes hate and judgement.  I can see where people are going with that.  Some of the  most judgemental and ignorant people I know happen to be members of my religion or another organized religion.  Honestly, that makes me sad.  But, I don't see it as a problem with organized religion, I see it as a problem with Humanity.   It's my religion that teaches me of Christ's mercy, His atoning sacrfice, compassion, repentance, and forgivness.  These are things I need to be reminded of every day! We're taught by Christ to Love one another but often, it's easier to judge someone else rather than to judge ourselves.  Some of us do that better then others.  Some days, I do it better than other days.  But that's what were taught. God knows who we are, the trials we have, the intentions of our hearts.  He will be the one who judges us accordingly.   If I may say, I don't personally think He's gonna judge us against each other. Like, did I live a righteously as Mother Theresa?  I think He's gonna judge us based on OUR personal best.  Are we being and doing the BEST we can??? 

Just my thoughts!  Thanks for entertaining me!  If you  disagree, that's totally cool!!  If you want to know more about my religion go here.  Don't worry, just because you want to understand what exactly we believe, doesn't mean were gonna try to convert you!  LOL! :) 

If you want to see MY mormon.org profile go here!!  It's exciting stuff!  A good read, I must say!  haha! :)

Oh!  PS!  I know religion and faith can be a hot topic. If you want to comment, GREAT!  But please be sure to keep them positive or light.  No bashing or intolerance, please!! I'm speaking to Mormon and non-Mormon friends alike! Ask questions or disagree, but no need to get ugly!!

Remember, let's Love one Another! :)
Thanks!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE this! Nicely said Nicole! I enjoyed reading it and being reminded myself of what I hold dear as well!

The Goodey Gang said...

Thanks Nicole. It was very well organized, honest, and truthful. Thanks for being my Christian friend. Love, Sheryl

mindy said...

Beautiful, I loved every word.

Lauri said...

Great post. I want to bookmark this for my family members who have turned their backs on religion because of all the "haters" out there.

mjs said...

Wow, Nicole. This is perfect. Couldn't agree more. God is love :)

Anonymous said...

Well said and I respect your faith. Funny thing, I was told I was going to Hell by a Mormon because I am Catholic. I think if we spent more time worrying about our relationship with Jesus and how He would have us live and less time judging other religions we would all be a little better off. Finger pointing and judgment get us no where...not that you were doing that. I just found your perspect very interesting given my experience. God bless you.

Nicole Bolinger said...

Dear Anonymous, just in case you check back, I wanted to thank you for your comment. I am sorry you had that experience. That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. It makes me so frustrated to hear that someone of my faith acted that way!! I know what Jesus taught and THAT is NOT it...LOL! :) Anyway, you're totally right, we would all be better of if we would quit pointing fingers. I do have to say, I know MANY wonderful Christ-like people in all religions, too. Thank you again for your comment and God bless you too! :)

Elisa said...

That was a great thing to read from you, Nicole. I really liked the way you explained your progression and growth. (btw: I sure miss you around here!)

Anonymous said...

Nicole, that was so nice to comment back to me. I don't really know how I found your blog and felt a little sheepish posting as a stranger. To be honest I was also a tad fearful because I have seen some of the most viscous electronic attacks on people who responded on similar blog posts as yours. They respectfully disagreed and purported Christian woman cruelly attacked them. So I decided I would tread lightly. As you have been most kind I just want to introduce myself. My name is Mindi and I live on the West Coast and am a pediatric oncology nurse. My faith allows me to care for children who suffer and die every day. It makes me so sad when people use Jesus as a shield and rationale for their own hate and bigotry. I cannot fathom how disappointed He is in that behavior. For me really is as simple as that cheesy marketing phrase in the 90's , what would Jesus do? I'd like to think I know and try to do just that. Anyway, again, your post was lovely. I like that your sweet sister responded so kindly. That tickled me. And I admire the passion with which you affirm your faith.

Jade said...

Nicely said, I truly enjoyed reading this post.

poutua said...

Hi there Nicole,
Thank you for your thoughts and bold testimony. You should share this on mormon.org with thousands of other members all over the world. It's inspiring. Because of you, I think I might do the same...I hope sharing this openly brings many people to ask more questions about it. Thanks again and btw, I am friends with your awesome sister Shelley!

Anonymous said...

I love you and miss you. Thank you for sharing. Your words and experiences are so similar to my own. Hope you are all well.

Anonymous said...

As a Christian (as I am) or a Mormon (as you are) we must not judge!!! God is love...I am a firm believer in that!!! Great post!!