So today was Fast and Testimony day at Church. Basically, we set aside one Sunday a month where we (as members) are encouraged to prayerfully fast for 2 meals over whatever we feel important in order to draw closer to the Lord. So, on Fast Sundays members are also encouraged to bare their Testimonies. It's funny, b/c most people don't necessarily want to get up in front of a congregation, but we all know how it feels to have the spirit prompt you. There is no denying when the Lord whats you to share something and fight as you may, you're gonna end up at the pulpit to share whatever testimony and/or experience you had. Well, I didn't have that urge today, but my 4 year old, did!!!
Nora told me she wanted to "go up to the microphone and tell people something". That is exactly how she stated it. Silly girl, I just knew she meant she wanted to get some attention. SO I told her that if you go up there you have to give your testimony. I was expecting her to ask me what that is OR what should she say. But she said, "OK". Then I asked her what is she going to say. She then told me a couple statements about Jesus. Nothing profound, but I knew I had to take her up. I didn't want to waste people's time with a 4 year olds testimony, but at the same time she understood and really wanted to go, so who am I to discourage that?! So I took her up and I'm not kidding, I was SOOOOOO nervous!!! I get up and bare my testimony probably a couple times a year and I don't really get nervous anymore. But I was so nervous for her.
One we got up to the stage, they lowered the pulpit for her and I picked her up a little and she looked and me and froze for a second. I wanted to just start telling her what to say, but I knew she had things she wanted to say, so I gave her a second. She then started to say, " Jesus doesn't have a body." Then she looked at me and said, "Ugh, Mama". She knew that didn't sound right but I just told her to go ahead. Then she started over and said, "The Holy Ghost doesn't have a body, and Jesus Christ lives here, and...." she said another statement but I can't remember what it was as I was so nervous for her. Then she said AMEN!! I was SOOOOO proud of her. For (1), most adults don't have the courage to do that and for (2), I can't believe how much she understands at her age. TO know that the holy ghost is a spirit and doesn't have a body and that Jesus Lives..BLEW my mind (although, she was probably saying that Jesus lives at church, but HE lives nonetheless...LOL)!! And to top it all off...she did it all on her own!!!! I didn't lead her in ANY way nor did I tell her what to say.
I can only hope she stays this way. Children are so young and so innocent I just pray that she will continue to grow and to love the Gospel and holdfast to the Lord. Goodness knows that I strayed quite a bit in my younger years, it just wasn't cool ya know?! :) Maybe this precious little child is stronger than I am, if she is, she totally get's it from her Dad...LOL!!!
I have to say THANK YOU to the Nunley's. They are Nora's Sunday school teachers and what she said in her testimony are things I know they have talked about in their class ALONG with the coolest visual aids!! :) I'd like to take credit on behalf of Wade and I, but I know my daughter and she LOVES her teachers (pre-school and church) and learns so much from them! :) Thanks Trish and Theron!!
5 comments:
*sniffs* That was beautiful. We often wonder if what we teach gets through to them. It was easy with the six year olds... tougher with the 3-4 year olds. When we heard nora in church, Theron and I looked at each other and said WOW! Something is working!!
Ahhh, this did make me cry Nicole! You should be proud...I can only hope that my girls take on the triats of your beautiful girls!
I am sooo proud of Nora! Last Sunday Charles had to give the scripture in Primary and he ended up doing the "Darth Vader" thing into the microphone. Needless to say the kids laughed and so did Charles.
You should definitely give yourself a HUGE pat on the back!
Thanks for sharing that story. I'll admit I sometimes get annoyed when the little kids go up in testimony meeting and are just silly. It's cute, but I find it disruptive. Probably because I don't have kids and therefore lack patience. I liked that you asked her what she was going to say first. I'd love to hear a 4 year old testimony instead of loud silliness. That is precious.
WOW! this really touched me!
Post a Comment