Friday, July 9, 2010

Change, it's a comin'!!!


Sooooo, change is coming and it's coming FAST. This week I had to do something that I know I needed to do, yet am a little apprehensive about! I turned in my 2 week notice to FAC aka The Fayetteville Athletic Club! I have worked the front desk there part time for almost 2 years. I decided to get a pt job when Audrey was about 6 month old b/c I felt I just needed some "me" time AND b/c I wanted to make a little extra money I could just BLOW!! :) This job was the PERFECT PT job for a mother of 2 small children.
I originally worked 3 mornings a week about 4.5 hours. Eventually that became too tolling so I moved it down to twice a week. I have to give FAC mad props b/c they TOTALLY accommodated me. There are a lot of front desk workers and most work weekends, but I was NEVER put on the schedule nor was I EVER asked. I guess there were plenty of college students to pick up the slack. FAC also has a HUGE child care area including a a play area, "THE MAZE" which is like a mcdonald's type play area, and then a huge gym with a air jump thingy (baby brain, can't thing of what they are called). Anyway, Nora loved it and Audrey was in the Nusery which had the BEST nursery workers. FAC also had a pre-school which Nora attended and I of course got a discount (not to mention a free membership to the club). In the summers we lived at the pool. They have an outside lap pool, but even better, a huge kids pool area divided into 3 different pools.

I promise, I'm not bragging. I am just trying to show why this decision has been hard for me. We have pretty much built our world around this Athletic club. Not to mention all the friendships I've built with members and co-workers. And I can't even begin to think how much FAC contributed to the growth of my photography business. Almost 3 years ago I moved here and I knew Nobody. I formed friends quickly with women I went to church with, but FAC opened up a WHOLE new group of people. I've meet some AMAZING people through FAC whom I know I will continue to be friends with!

Why make this decision? Especially since 8 hours a week really isn't anything?? Well...I'm TIRED!!! Between 2 kids, pregnancy, and a growing photography biz, I just feel like somethings gotta go. I'm sad, b/c I don't think I will continue to be a member there either. It's takes at very LEAST 20 minutes to get there (that's a long drive when your trying to motivate yourself to go workout) and it's a little on the pricey side. I am just VERY money focused right now as we are expecting our 3rd child. I am sure once the dust settles I'll loosen up a little. But, I have NEVER been very good at change (except for those years after college, I seemed to LOVE it then). I am SOOOOOOO nervous about the fall. Not having the gym membership, not having to pre-school discount, not having that extra little money to blow, not having that social outlet (Yes, working the front desk was VERY socializing for me). I'm leaving on good terms so maybe I'd like to go back there once baby #3 is older. But whose to say they will need someone when I'm ready, or that they would be so accommodating to a mom's schedule? OR MAYBE the photography biz will just BOOM in 2011. Who knows???

One thing's for sure, it will all work out. I can hear my dad yelling at me right know to stop worry about things I can't control. I've gotten a little better as I've aged. I'm just such a worry wart. But come on, it is kind of a lot going on at once. And for some reason I am more worried about #3 than my other 2. I never really worried about $ or my sanity with 2. But, I find myself worrying how I am gonna do it ALL when I have 3 kids at home! And I guess for good reason, that's no small feat.

Well, back to my original posting. Working that little PT job has been great for me and my family! But right now, it's just not working for us. I know it's the right decision, but I can't help but worry what I'm walking away from. Especially the pre-school and child care. The people there LOVED my children so much and have watched them grow...SAD!!! But I think Nora is gonna be ok with the change and she seems ok with it. So, we'll see!

1 comment:

Jadie said...

Lots of changes! I think you made the right decision, though. A little less stress and a little more sanity is always worth it!