Friday, November 12, 2010

what to do, what to do??


Ok, so I am putting this out there on the web b/c I am at a TOTAL loss.  I usually don't ask for opinions on certain children situations b/c I've just learned that all children are different and sometimes we just have to figure them out ourselves.  But I am TOTALLY stumped on this one!  Really, I think I would like to know if it has happened to anyone else.

So, I have Potty trained my 2 year old TWICE now.  And both times was successful...for a couple weeks....until she just loses interest!!!  It's driving me NUTS!!.  The first time I didn't worry about it b/c we were about to go on a LONG cross country vacation.  I'd rather have a child in diapers than stopping every 20 minutes to use the bathroom.  But, this time it's different.  We started about a month ago.  She seemed interested so I just went with it.  After a week or so she seemed to have it down.  She was going #1 and #2 consistently.  Sure we had a few accidents here and there, but that's to be expected.  Then about a week ago she had just LOST interest. She doesn't even TRY!  I've already cleaned up 2 messes by 9:30 am this morning.  She peed in the car yesterday too.  She WAS excited and would hold it in the car and tell us when she had to go.  NOW, she says nothing, she just goes...in her panties...on the floor....and doesn't even tell me!  I was so over it this morning, I told her she was going back to diapers.  I put her in a diaper an the next thing you know...she took it off and went potty.  I can't win for losing with this little girl.  It's almost like she just wants to prove that she can do it like she's saying, "ok, I did it, i can potty, now I'm over it"!!  LOL!

So the question is...do I push through it or give it up and revisit it after a couple months AFTER Elise is born???

Seriously, SOOOOOOOO frustrating.  I mean, we all know potty training is frustrating, but I successfully trained Nora.  It was Hell, but we did it and it stuck.  It just won't STICK with this little girl!!!  HELP!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
That can be so frustrating. I didn't think Joshua was ever going to get fully potty trained. What finally worked was a sticker chart. We found a whole Sesame Street sticker kit at Babies R Us for like $4. It had a chart, different stickers, bonus stickers and a certificate to give once the whole chart was full. Each row was a different task that was rewarded. I can't remember them all, but one row was "sitting on the potty," one row was "going" one row was "flushing" and one was "washing your hands." He loved the stickers and once each row was full he got mini-rewards (toy cars or m&m's). Once the chart was full he was good to go. No problems.

I wonder how she will be after little Elise is born. I've heard that siblings can regress in things like potty training when a new baby comes into the home. Maybe she's picking up on the anticipation of the all the talk of the new baby and regressing early?
Good luck!

Amanda

The Grays: said...

The trick and "pain in the butt" thing is to not go back to diapers. I know it's frustrating, but my two cents it to push through it :-)
San

heidi said...

i have no good input for you. that is frustrating! i hate pee smell in the car. anywhere really.
have you talked to her pediatrician? can nora get in on the action. be an example or encourager?

WesnKim-sidebyside said...

The bes tadvice we have to offer is RELAX! if you are keyed up she senses that. Let her decide each morning what she wants pantie or a diaper and if she has a mess or an accident have her help you clean it up. She will mostlikely regress once the baby is here and OUR bet is that she is needing the attention she is getting. She knows her world is about to change DRAMATICALLY, that she cannot control,this she can! Reasure her and RELAX!