Tonight during Family Home Evening Wade was telling a story of forgiveness and it was about how a little boy was teased by another little boy at school. Then a little conversation began between he and Nora...It went like this:
Wade: Has anyone been mean to you Nora?
Nora: Ummm, YES! Mommy yells at me and won't let me do the things I want to do.
Wade: Well, that's different.
LOL! We giggled at it a little, but deep down I hate that she totally remembers how I yell at them all day. Raising kids is HARD sometimes. Children, at least mine, live in their own little worlds. I have to tell them a MILLION times to do something and they fight with each other all day. And don't get me started on ALL the laundry and messes I clean up DAILY!
Sometimes, I wonder if I would better serve my family as a working mother. I mean, I could help out our family financially. Think of what another income could do for us. I mean, I have my photography, but as of right now, it's more just spending money for me. And the girls, who are super social, would probably love preschool, right?
Especially as a mother of a newborn I have found myself a little postpardum and very emotional. I may have yelled at my kids a little more than usual and then cry about it later...MAY have...LOL! I blame it on the lack of sleep! :) Anyway, so sometimes I can't help but wonder... Am I a good mom? Is it doing ANY good that I am home with them?
I remember going to my 10 year reunion and we were all catching up and a typical question was, "What do you do?" My reply was, "I'm a stay at home Mom". I always felt I needed to back it up with something like what I "WAS" before kids. Anyway, I remember telling one woman (whom was a lawyer I think) what I "do" to which her reply was "oh, good for you" I remember feeling SO patronized. Maybe she was patronizing or maybe I was just insecure. But either way, that is why I LOVE this video below. It's a great reminder that being a Mother is a GREAT work...GOD's work!!
This is a video of Jane Clayson Johnson, journalist and former co-host of the early show on ABC, that left Network journalism to be a stay at home Mom. She put into words what I need to be reminded of everyday.
I also bought her book, "I am a Mother" today. I've read the first chapter and it is wonderful. I am Thankful to my friend Adrianne for recommending it!
I do have to add,t hat a little bit ago Audrey came running to me crying. She hurt her hand and she wanted me to kiss it better. It is moments like that, that I do enjoy and am glad I can be home for!!
I do have to add,t hat a little bit ago Audrey came running to me crying. She hurt her hand and she wanted me to kiss it better. It is moments like that, that I do enjoy and am glad I can be home for!!
7 comments:
LOVED the video! We all need reminders that the work we do as "Mothers" is the most important work we can ever do...and perhaps the most challenging. : )
I agree with you Nicole. Sometimes I tend to think people are so against me because I am a stay at home mom. But I am quickly learning that it works for our family and it is best for us. And you are sooo right.... being a stay at home mom is a lot of hard work, but it is the most rewarding job I have ever had. I will keep my title here at home as Mommy! Very good Post!
Nicole:
Read Hebrews 12:9 which states " 9Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in dsubjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?"
This shows us how importatnt it is to teach and Correct our children even though they do not always like it or understand why we won't let them have free reign so they they can learn to be obedient to our Heavenly Father, which is most important to our eternal salvation.
You are doing a great job and Nora Adores you, Being a MOM is really the only JOB you shouldn't feel the need to have to explain. We love the way you are rasing our GRANDdaughters. They are happy, fun, not afraid to express tehmselves. They have confidence, grace, style and most importantly they express LOVE to everyone. You are doing a Marvelous "job" as their MOM. YOu have the most Noble of careers! We love you!
Nicole, you are a wonderful mother! I can so easily imagine how frustrating it may be sometimes but you ARE doing great work. I actually feel insecure when I'm around my friends who stay at home with their children...I feel like they are inherently better at being a mom than me. So, keep your chin up!
NICOLE U R A GREAT MOTHER> THERE R TIMES THAT I FIND MYSELF IN TEARS CUZ I YELLED AT MY GIRLS> BUT LIKE U I HAVE TO TELL THEM OVER AND OVER AGAIN> IT GETS OLD> AND THERE R DAYS I THINK I SHOULD JUST WORK> AFTER SEEING THE VIDEO IM IN TEARS< I MEAN I THINK NOW I HAVE THE BEST OF BOTH WORDS> I GET TO STAY AT HOME WITH MY KIDS AND SEE THEM GROW THEN HAVE SUMONE WATCH THEM AND THEM ME MISS OUT ON EVERYTHING> LOL I TOLD ELVIS TO STAY HOME WHILE I WORK>> HE SAID I LOVE MY GIRLS BUT IDK HOW U DO IT> ITS HARD AND I DONT KNOW IF I COULD DO IT EVERY DAY>SO THAT MADE MY DAY TO HEAR THAT> AND THE GIRLS TOLD ME THAT THEY LOVE ME AND THINK ME EVERY DAY FOR EVERYTHING I DO> AND NOW THEY HELP ME CLEAN AND DO STUFF AROUND THE HOUSE
Nicole ~ This video made me cry. It's perfect. Thank you for sharing.
Love you! It will get easier!! I'm going to make you dinner soon. ; )
oh nicole. i just read a great article in the wall street journal about how chinese mothers are more succesful parents because they don't take the crap that american mothers do. i smiled at myself when i read that. yelling=don't take crap. we are way better than the rest.
and i have that book and it is phenomenal.
Post a Comment