Saturday, September 20, 2008

What A Long Strange Trip it Was!

Sorry, it's a long story! But worth the read...I think!

Well, we went to Myrtle beach last week and had a fun, but interesting time. We piled into the good ole Passat and and headed out on our 17 hour (probably more like 20 with kids) trip. We didn't leave until 5 pm that day and our goal was Birmingham. Which was going to be at least 8 hours. The good news there was that we planned on staying with my BFF from the good ole days, Libby! Love ya Lib, thanks! Anyway, we were both doing so good until about 1 am and then we were done, we just wanted to stop driving. We were in the middle of Mississippi and there was nowhere to stay. We pulled off on an exit and the one motel was full. Then we headed up to another exit about 20 miles up the long and lonely road. Well that exit claimed to have a motel but it must have been in another dimensions or something. By the time we found one we were only about 40 minutes from B'ham. So we pushed forward and arrived at Libs house about 3 am. Well, my pregnant friend was up and awake so of course we had to chit chat and catch up which put me to bed about 5am! At least Audrey let me sleep until a whopping 7am! ;) Nothing like traveling in a small car with 2 kids and 2 hours of sleep. It was going to be a great day.

Well, then about an hour out of B'ham I noticed we weren't on I-20. I know we took the exit for it what happened??? All I know is that I wasn't the driver so I won't go there!! But, Nora really needs to learn how to use a road map! ;) So anyway, we had to take a side road about 45 minutes to get back to I-20. So, we're finally back on track. Well, for like 3 seconds! Next thing we know the Passat decides to quite moving! So, there in Anniston, AL we broke down on the side of the freeway on a hot and humid summer day. And to add insult in injury I stepped in a HUGE fire ant pile...TWICE!!! Anyway, long story short it had to be sent to the good car gone bad graveyard. Good news, I get a new car! Bad news is, WHERE??? We just decide to rent a car and drive on to Myrtle beach.

Thanks goodness for the Campbell's. They are great friends! They met us in Anniston and drove with us to Myrtle beach. Then Sweet Diana watches all the kids while Joey takes us looking for a new car to buy. What a great first day of Vacay at the Beach! ;) Well, we get a great deal on an AWESOME car (will post details on that in the future). So the next couple of days went great and were loads of fun!

The drive on the way back went smoothly in our smooth car. To make the trip totally worth while we got to stay with our old friends the Scofield's in Alanta! They are a wonderful family and it was so great to see ya'll!

So now we are at home. No buyers remorse just a car payment to swallow after being car note free. Gross! I created a slideshow for your viewing pleasure since I took so many pictures. Sorry Lib and Scofield's...I didn't take any pics during our short stay...what was I thinking! ;(


9 comments:

gazelle said...

Guess what? I am finally leaving a comment!Yes brace yourself- i have, on my own accord successfully accessed you blog-and it is darling. I didn't realize you had some other glitches in addition to the car issues. So glad you're back-Love, Kimberlee

Anonymous said...

Hey! Your slide show link isn't working! Look forward to our next trip.

Sheryl said...

What troopers your kids are ---- to put up with you and your driver. :) I'm glad you got to get away for awhile. Everyone deserves a good vacation. Thank goodness for good friends along the path of life.........

Ginger said...

Sounds like you guys had lots of fun! I wish I had known you were coming through Bham. Iwould have loved to see the baby.....oh and you! :P

Anonymous said...

We loved seeing you guys, too, Nicole! I was kicking myself for not pulling out the camera while ya'll were here, as well. Next time, right?

The Copelands said...

Wow! What a trip! I'm glad you had a good vacation inspite of it all! That will be a fun story for a long time!

Shelli Allen Photography said...

i just loveeee your blog..what is that music? no i am not going to homeschool

Jessica said...

vacation and a new car? sign me up!

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys had a great time at beach. It reminds me of the time we would go down to Panama Beach. Of course you were a little older than Nora and Audrey but they were very good memories.