Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Maybe there is something to that there FHE (Family Home Evening)

Dislaimer: This may be long, but there is a good point!!!

So tonight right before Family Home Evening (FHE), Wade and I got into a little tiff.  Basically, I was being a total brat, but I'll tell you the whole story anyway.  He was being super nice and volunteered to go to the grocery store for me tonight so I wouldn't have to tag the kids around.  Sweet, no doubt!!  But, when he got home he had bought TONS of stuff.  Like 3 bags of that, 3 boxes of that, 5  of those whatch-a-ma-diggies.  Did he think we are feeding a small army??  Anyway, not really a big deal, but when I am trying SO hard to live within a budget, how frustrating is it that he spent the WHOLE month grocery budget in one shopping trip?  I know it a moot point b/c the food will last all month anyway.  But there is no time for such SENSIBLE thinking when you're trying to be annoyed at your husband! ;) Anyway, he got upset b/c I was acting all, well, we'll just say MOODY! ;)  In his defense he did let me complain for a good ten minutes at all the Wrong stuff he bought, when I guess he would have appreciated a "Thank You" or something!  I know, if you're a guy and reading this I am SURE you are SO glad you aren't married to me!!

Well, after a couple minutes of silence Wade started FHE.  We always start it with a Primary song.  Mormon 101:  Primary is children's Sunday school and Primary song are like church hymns made just for kids.  We always start FHE with a couple songs from this:
We actually have a couple of the DVD's and the girls (both) love to sing along with them.  It's true that hymns invite the Spirit of the Lord.   I began to find myself happy and laughing/ not angry anymore in an instance.   Well, I have a point... and that is, that anger cannot dwell within your home when the Spirit of Christ is there. I feel a Mormon Ad coming on....
(This one is an oldie, but goodie.  Circa 1990's or something)

Wade then went on with the lesson which was on "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it Holy" (Ex. 20:8).  It was a cute story about a little boy who didn't know how to do that and his mom suggested he could "serve" someone.  She then suggested he pray about who... and when he did he thought of his grandma, so he decided to write her a letter b/c she in lonely b/c grandpa passed away.  For the activity We wrote Wades Grandpa, whose wife died a couple years ago and is in an assisted living retirement home.    The girls LOVED it!!  They drew him pictures and Wade wrote a long over due letter.  Click Here is the link to the story if you want to read it!

So I'm not saying we are always perfect in inviting THE SPIRIT into our home.  But, I was taught a lesson tonight.  It is a lesson I always known, but it was great to see, first hand, how Christ's presence in our home made us a stronger family!  Ill feelings between Wade and I melted away as we sang and taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ to our children!!  

Occasionally I like to throw in these little stories on my blog so I can remember these days... since I am SO bad at writing in my journal!  Thanks for letting me share, hope it wasn't too boring! ;)  Here are some pictures of the night as well!!


2 comments:

The Grays: said...

I LOVE this! We have to do a better job at singing at our FHE...Mostly it's just Simon and I reviewing a Ensign article, quickly, so that we can put Sofi to bed...

gapeach said...

What an inspiration you guys are! David and I do about the same as San...and even THAT doesn't happen every week! :> What an impressive example you are to me as a good mama, Nicole! Oh and I LOVE the video of the tantrum...you handled it like a pro!!

Lisa